During several centuries wood was processed at the Murgbach. In 1937, the Murg spinning mill took over the sawmill. Not because the textile company wanted to diversify, no, the water right on the site was in the foreground, as it enabled the construction of a hydroelectric power plant for the machine drive. Because of a special servitude on the site, wood processing had to continue on the site, but always at a loss. In 1963, after a legal dispute with the local municipality, wood processing was stopped and the building was used as a warehouse. In the 1980s, Spinnerei Murg AG built a new hydroelectric power plant on the site. The beautiful wooden building was used as a warehouse, but its basic substance was preserved. With the closure of the spinning mill in 1996 and the subsequent change of use, a solution also had to be found for the sawmill. This was found in 2002 in the form of the sagibeiz, an uncomplicated eatery, which was provided with a new terrace and has since been further expanded in various investment steps. Today, the sagibeiz serves as a perfect location for wonderful events and seminars, romantic meals as well as a starting point for water sports.
There is not much known about Othmar Blumer, but the founder of the old spinning mill in Murg must have been a brave man: It needed a healthy portion of the pioneering spirit to build a factory that is located in such a remote place, nestled between the Walensee and rocks. Even today there are pioneers in Murg: the married couple Esther and Dieter von Ziegler transformed the old spinning mill with strong will, passion and a clear vision into a hotel and habitable lofts. A place with more than 175 years of history.
Solaranlage auf dem sagibeiz Dach
Neue Übernachtungsmöglichkeiten am See: Cargoloft im Bahnwagon und zwei Glampingzelte
Nachhaltige Zwischennutzung der alten Lagerhalle am See für Seminare und Events
New garden at the seegüetli and the sagisteg.
New seminar room at the lake with water sport.
Redesign of a seminar room at the lofthotel into a creative space.
Renovation of the sagibeiz kitchen.
The former building of the blowroom is being put to new uses: The Swiss Textile Collection is moving in in May 2015.
The planning for the renovation of the "Mädchenheim" and the transformation of the old warehouse at the lake is being intensified.
Full House in Murg: All transformed building sections are sold or rented.
The planning for the renovation of the girls' home starts.
The association seekultour is founded.
The sagisteg is developed for year-round use. During summer with fine roasting spits, during winter with fondue specialties.
The spinning mill Murg is celebrating ist 175th anniversary. The area is awarded with the «Roter Nagel» Prize for Architecture. The wellness area, a private-spa with lake view, a fitness room and the publicly accessible tennis and event hall are finalized. A new lounge and café area develop in the foyer of the lofthotel. The lofthotel also gets two additional single rooms.
3rd Stage, Year of Construction: The new building (70´s-hall) and diverse adjoining buildings get new usages.
The construction permit for the 3rd stage arrives. First exhibition in the loft gallery (Markus Gisler, Elvira Steuer, Susanne Bodmer, Gian Häne, Patrick Kaufmann, amongst others).
Opening of the lofthotel. Completion of the 2nd stage. The courtyard design assumes a shape. A new "Barstübli"-area and an enhanced terrace overlooking the lake enrich the sagibeiz.
Green light for the 2nd stage. The first lofts are sold and can be inhabited.
Start of the 1st construction stage (ca. 5500m² effective area). The ground-breaking ceremony and laying of the cornerstone take place in the presence of Governing Council Heidi Hanselmann.
The construction permit for the conversion project of the spinning mill arrives. It includes a back-formation to the attractive original facade, adding generous balconies. Together with the community Murg, a woodchip heating system is planned for the area. The sagibeiz gets accrual: The sagisteg - a comfortable lounge at the lake - is inaugurated. New companies can settle.
The sagibeiz gets a pier for private and corporate boats. Cultural events take place regularly.
Opening of the sagibeiz. It is located directly by the lake in the sawmill, which once was working as a warehouse for the Spinning Mill Murg AG as well. The former industrial area is converted into a residential and commercial zone.
A first expansion plan develops in cooperation with the public authorities and the monument preservation.
Change of ownership: Dieter und Esther von Ziegler decide to take over the shares of their family environment, with the goal to find new usages for the industrial and commercial properties.
1996 et seqq.
After a changeful history, the operation in the spinning mill in Murg is terminated, one part of the property portfolio is sold and the machines liquidated. The most important employer in the village has to close its doors.
Dieter von Ziegler, son of Heinrich, takes over the management of the company. Cooperations with Indian spinning mills are established to accommodate the pressure of globalization.
1990 et seqq.
Globalization first brings a relocation of jobs in ready-made clothing, then further weaving mills and embroideries are relocated. The customers of the spinning mills move to Eastern Europe, later to Asia. It is not possible anymore to produce profitably and there is no hope for recovery, since the relocation is not an economic cycle, but rather a global revolution. The strong Swiss Franc additionally strains the competitiveness.
A new warehouse is constructed in the village center. Further investments in machines and a renewal of the power plant at the Murgbach are pending. At the same time Eastern Europe opens up: The textile industry starts to migrate. An expansion project to Portugal has to be stopped.
1970 et seqq.
Further investments are made, the spinning mill is being equipped continually with the newest and most productive machines to keep up with the strong competition. The capacities are expanded, a new factory building is constructed at the end of the 70s. Furthermore, modern apartments are constructed for the employees.
1950 et seqq.
After the death of Cosmus Schindler, his grandchilds Hans Peter and Heinrich von Ziegler take over the management of the company, which they hold until 1992.
On the occasion of the 50th anniversary of the Spinning Mill Murg AG, the anniversary publication reads: «The perspectives are not promising. The company will still have to market a large part of the production abroad and its destiny depends on the development of trade with foreign countries.»
The prior lack of raw materials is followed by a labor shortage. Italian female workers provide relief. The girls' home is renovated specifically for them.
Constituent general assembly for the foundation of a joint-stock company. Cosmus Schindler-Dorer, an in-law who understands to consistently expand the business in difficult and lean years between 1900 and 1950, becomes head of the company. Generous social works and welfare institutions are arranged for the employees. Several serious depressions cannot prevent the extension of the factory.
Initiation of the spinning mill after the reconstruction (today's basic structure). Further extension and improved utilization of the hydropower.
Total demolition of the main building due to a fire.
Installation of the first turbine by Escher, Wyss & Cie, instead of the water wheel.
Commissioning of the spinning mill building. Contemporaries called it one of the largest buildings of this type in Switzerland.
Foundation of the spinning mill at the Walensee by Othmar Blumer from Glarus, with financial support by well-funded inhabitants of Basel. The hydropower of the Murgbach defines the location.
Technical revolutions (Industrialization), change from the cottage to the factory-based industry.